Thursday, August 30, 2007

i do it like this, kimmyk


i had to stand in my closet for this one and hold the camera in a shelving unit. that's the birthday linen [i need a bed skirt, badly] and the quilt is half done. that first part consists of all of the favorite clothes i wore out in college. part two should be coming this winter. i realize this photo makes my room look spartan, but i hope you get some sense of it's coziness and that the walls you can't see are covered in photos and framed posters. i like the rustic look of the wooden crates. the red bin is old as hell and holds my journals, sketch books and books i made by hand. below is a cubby dad fashioned for us kids when we were wee. the top is an old gift box [old school shwag] from dad's sales days atop which sits my pride and joy: for highschool graduation i asked for a Rodin sculpture. i was hoping for The Kiss, i got The Fallen Caryatid Carrying Her Stone. what an epitaph it has been for me over the years. Skillet asked for a CD player. i got one the next month for our birthday. ... i need a bedskirt.
here are the two peppers. i cut them off with scissors today, because they started to get soft and i was afraid i'd lose them. i hope to make something tastey and delicious with them tomorrow. to the right is the solitary heritage tomato that survived bugs, kids, storms and being grown in a rubbermaid tub by, well, me. love the red appliances? thank HM. she wanted a red and black kitchen, so my twin sent me red towels and oven mits for Christmas. "... you do realize we're NOT that kind of housemate, right, skillet?" ... [skillet: short for home skillet. another post. ask me later, ac.]
there are three or for more buds. the next two [maybe they only grow in pairs?] are already getting bigger.
and finally...


i was in the shower tonight and i look down my belly between my pale swollen girls to see this: a bruise on my sternum. now, i can't, for the life of me, figure out how i got this. i mean, i can. i work with kids, i could have bent over something hard. [go ahead, say it.] the almost-toddling-toddler could have bounced on my chest. my honorary niece and nephew [i was watching them last week] were jumping on my back last week and i am a slow bruiser, but not that slow... (photography note: i am not a vanity photo pro.) or maybe i bent too far over one of the bed railings when i was kissing one of my elderly patients on the forehead after tucking them in.
so here you have it. we'll see what it does.
sorry, FS, no nipples. i do work with kids. reputation.
sigh.

4 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

cool colors in your room.
you're making a comforter out of your clothes? explain please.

i love the old crates those are cool. when i was in college i had those red milk crates everywhere. i put my sweatshirts in 'em.

that sculpture is very pretty.

sorry about your bruise. i'll imagine you got it from kissing a patient goodnite. not one who was holding his junk though.

07:03  
Blogger ac said...

The Captain collects old crates like the onces you have and puts them together as a bookcase. He has one wall (short wall 8ft) almost completely stacked with crates and books. I like your decorating style. Reminds me of mine. HA! My kitchen is red, black and green 50's style with old stove. I should put up a pic.

Owweee on the bruise. I just noticed one on my arm near my elbow... I whacked it on something... I know not what.

I didn't know you had a twin. T

11:39  
Blogger yorlor said...

i'll post a close up of the quilt, kk.

ac, i LOVE them!!! love the rustic and the simple. i even love really expensive rustic and simple things. but it's easier and cheaper to grab orange crates from the store. so re-useful. i get it from my dad. hope i never lose it.

yes, i have a twin. and an older sister. am more like the older than the twin, but the twin kicks ass. she's day. i'm night. beautiful, mystic, frightening night.

17:56  
Blogger yorlor said...

the bruise isn't going away, or at least it wasn't last night. i tried to take an update photo, but i felt a bit too much like betty page...

01:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home