Friday, March 16, 2007

he's 96

my patient tonight.
he's wondering why he's still alive.
a couple of months ago he tried to get out of bed and realized he couldn't.
so he's been in bed for a couple of months after doing everything on his own for 96 years.
not only did i have to hold the urinal for him, i had to hold his you-know-what in the urinal.
it's frustrating.
he's tired.
he was a dentist. he used to give cleanings for 8 dollars. a filling cost 2 bucks.
he met his wife at a dance that cost 3 dollars.
"that was the day."
they had four kids and burried 3 of them; one at birth, one at three years, one at 52.
he's a good guy. a real sweet guy.
he shared his non-parels with me.
he says he's waiting to die.
i told him i'd wait with him.
i'm a lucky girl.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

I don't want to live to 96.
I don't ever want to bury one of my children.
I don't want anyone helping me pee in a little bucket.

But if I had a person like you by my side in my darkest hours...I might be ok with it.

13:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home